Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bloomberg opinion paints a grim future for America

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 15:05:42 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

That can be true if both parties buy an agent. (3% + 3%).
I didn't even know people did that these days. The buyer is usually a
lot better off just buying a lawyer to look over the documents. My guy
is $275 an hour and he can read a lot of paper in an hour.
It is not like homes for sale are a secret these days and you need the
secret handshake to look at the MLS.

I don't know how it is now, but about 10 years ago I went through some
ot it. Bought a house and the agent did dual duty as a buying and
selling agent. I think they got 5 % as there was some negociation going
on for the sellers.

I sold a house through a realitor. They got 5 % on that as I negociated
it to that.

Then I sold a house. I advertised that in the paper and put out a sign
'for sale by owner' with my phone number. I showed it about 5 times
before someone bought it. I downloaded a standard contract off the
internet and I and the buyers signed it. They did a home inspeciton and
all well. We went to a lawer of their choice and he did all the paper
work. No realitor was involved. From what two lawyers told me , in NC
you have to have a laywer do some of the paper work to register it at
the court house. It was no big deal at all to sell the house yourself
and save from 4 to 6 %. I saved about $ 5,000 as that was a $ 100,000
house, or maybe the buyers came out that much better depending on how
you look at it. I did look at the county tax values and home selling
records around that neighbor hood that is all public record and can be
done on the computer from home. As there were about 10 or 12 homes
built in the area at the same time and were very similar and 2 had sold
within the last 5 years it gave me a good idea of the price I should
ask.

Yes, there is a MLS that I found the house I live in now. I did have to
go to the realitor to buy it. I made a low ball offer as I knew the
house had been on the market for over 4 months and it was rejected.
About 2 months later it was still on the market,so I made another more
reasonable offer and it was accepted. As I had taken out some home
equeity loans on another house I owned I was paying cash as far as they
were concerned. Went to a lawyer with the sellers and realitor. Signed
some papers and got the keys. Was lucky as the lawyer's office was
across the street to where the deed had to be registered so it was all
done in a few hours.

When I bought this house I got the agent agree to a seller commission
only and the title company acted as my agent for the transfer. I just
paid the title search/insurance from them. It was a cash deal and went
through pretty fast.
When I sold my condo I just told them what number I wanted on my
check, take it or leave it. They called me. I had made no effort to
sell it. I think they only paid a lawyer but I really don't know. I
got the check I wanted.

My first house was bought directly from a small builder. He had a
wife/broker but it was the same deal. I told them how much money I had
and that was I paid. I did pay the title insurance and the recording
fee.