Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Who knows about GPS antennas?

I have been looking online but there seems to be, for a lot of the
antennas, an assumption of prior knowledge. That I don't have.
What I want to do is survey some of my property line. Mainly so I
know about where it is because about 25% of the length is ambiguous.
I can pay a surveyor to do the job but it would cost about 4
thousand bucks. Of course a proper survey would be more accurate and
precise but I don't need that accuracy or precision.
So I am looking for an antenna that could be either plugged into a
handheld GPS or a tablet. And I don't know even where to start. I
don't know how much gain I need. Or sensitivity. Maybe there is
already a han held unit that is good enough all by itself.
Our property is heavily wooded with a mix of conifers and deciduous
trees, mostly alders. In the summer the trees make my hand held GPS
unit useless. It is an older unit so I will be buying a modern one
that will hopefully be better.
I live north of Seattle and the satellites seem to be mostly in the
southern sky, if that makes any difference to any antennas.
I would like to keep the total expenditure for antenna and GPS unit
to less than $400.00
I have looked into renting a surveyors GPS unit but have not been
able to find anyone in the greater area who rents them.
Can anybody help?
Thanks,
Eric