Posted to alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Bloomberg opinion paints a grim future for America

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...
In article , says...

That's major reason for the move away from North, Upper Midwest in
general for the past at least 30-40 years--outside that northern tier of
states and a very few others here and there, the rest of the US is
"right to work" country where it is not mandatory to belong to and pay
the union bosses in order to be able to hold a job even in a union shop.

I work in a right to work state. Around 1975 or so a union tried to get
in to the plant I worked at. The plant had around 2500 hourly workers
and 500 manager or other salary people. The union did not get in after
3 votes on it. This was a plant that made polyester out of raw
materials. The main reason I voted against it was the parent company
had about 5 plants similar to it in the US and the vote was just for
this one plant. The product could be shifted to other plants if it came
to a strike. At that time the wages were good and we had many benefits.
Later the textile market crashed in the US an 10 years ago less than 500
people worked there and the plant is now out of business. The parent
company had built 3 plants in other countries. Bad thing is out plant
got many volunteers to go to the other countries to teach them how to
make the material. Sort of cut their own job out.

Unions could be good,but now they seem to be outdated unless it is
something like the lawyers bar association and medical association,
unions by another name. Maybe the actors union or what ever they call
it. As far as I can tell those are about the only professions that have
a lock on things.

That's not really true. The cops, nurses, teachers etc all do too.

Even if I studied the law on my own and knew it very
well I could not practice it if the bar said I could not. I can not get
any medicine that is really any good with out going to a doctor.

But the doctor doesn't have to belong to the AMA etc.

Most any other business has no protection. If I want to I can set up an
auto repair shop right next to another one and buy parts from the local
auto parts place. I can even get most any auto part to repair my own
with out any trouble. While you do have to have a license by the state
to be in construction or an electrician, plumber, the tests are a joke and
anyone can get that with out much formal training.