Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Bloomberg opinion paints a grim future for America

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 06:27:18 -0400, I Sellers
wrote:

On 8/9/20 3:13 AM, Jim Joyce wrote:
On Sun, 09 Aug 2020 01:06:46 -0400, wrote:

On Sun, 9 Aug 2020 05:34:06 +0100, Bod wrote:

'Without fixes for infrastructure, education, health care and
government, the U.S. will resemble a developing nation in a few decades'.

The U.S.s decline started with little things that people got used to.
Americans drove past empty construction sites and didnt even think
about why the workers werent working, then wondered why roads and
buildings took so long to finish.
They got used to avoiding hospitals because of the unpredictable and
enormous bills theyd receive. They paid 6% real-estate commissions,
never realizing that Australians were paying 2%. They grumbled about
high taxes and high health-insurance premiums and potholed roads, but
rarely imagined what it would be like to live in a system that worked
better.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...ut-in-the-open

Agree/disagree.....Opinions?
Other than the inaccuracies I suppose it is OK.
Maybe Mikey should spend more time in Flyover land.
I called my village about a pot hole in the road, they were out there
the next day, cut out about 5 feet of road, edge to edge, fixed the
drain pipe that caused it and repaved it 3 days later when the
concrete on the pipe had set.
RE commissions are typically 3-3.5%.
Construction is booming here, even during the Covid.
I agree the health insurance is high but the government is making that
worse, not better and the lawyers are a big part of the problem.

You're lucky regarding the RE commissions. Up in the Florida panhandle
they're still 6%, same as the rest of the country.

You don't *need* a real estate agent to sell a house.Â* Show it yourself and have a lawyer do the paperwork.

Exactly, that eliminates both sides if the buyer has a lawyer too. We
have a lot of lawyers here who are also title companies so the buyer
kills two birds throwing that rock. Usually the title insurance is in
addition to any real estate commission.