Posted to alt.home.repair
rbowman rbowman is offline

Default UK diners treated to half-price meals ahead of feared second coronavirus wave

On 08/09/2020 06:26 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Saturday, August 8, 2020 at 4:31:44 AM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
The UK Government is begging Britons to open their wallets, so Boris
Johnson is doing the same.

His Government has started paying 50 per cent of diners' restaurant
bills to encourage them to spend, ahead of a feared second wave of COVID-19.

A fellow diner, Poppy Green, said she never expected the Prime Minister
would be paying half her restaurant bill.

"Good on him! Who would have thought? A conservative prime minister.
[But] I agree. Well done, Boris."

The scheme is available at more than 76,000 restaurants in the UK and
diners don't need to do anything to get their discount.

Instead, the restaurant charges half-price and the Government has
promised to pay the balance within days.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08-...fears/12518918

Yeah, that wouldn't work for me. Restaurants are open here, I have
plenty of disposable income, and I still make do with once-weekly
carryout.

OTOH, I have a well-stocked kitchen and I know how to cook.

No problem for me. I haven't been in a restaurant since my favorite
Indian place closed a couple of years ago. The menu varied but on any
given day you had two choices, vegetarian or meat. Traditionally the
food comes in a lot of little dishes and not mixed on a plate. They
solved that by using segmented stainless steel trays.

It was too spartan for most people. The other Indian place in town has
too many choices and combinations for my tastes. I prefer prix fixe
restaurants where the chef can concentrate on doing one or two entrees
really well.