Posted to uk.d-i-y
Clive Arthur Clive Arthur is offline

Default Insulating a pan handle

On 07/08/2020 19:13, Tim+ wrote:
wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2020 23:28:30 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 19:10:15 +0100 (GMT+01:00), Jimk wrote:

I'd like to wrap it in something oven proof to make it easier to
handle. Asbestos string? ;-). Hopefully there's a safer substitute
for
this.

Oven glove....

My first thought as well. Though finding decent gaunlet type oven
gloves can be a bit of a challenge.

Was sort of thinking that cotton string would do, ignition temp of
cotton is 200C and a casserole dish isn't like to be used at that
temperature,
Not sure how long it would last though with repeated heating/washing
cycles.

Perhaps small dia stove rope would be better? Quick google indicates
that 3mm dia is out there.

Ah ha! Thats exactly what I want. 99 pences worth of the stuff winging
its way to me now.

Many thanks.

Tim

Not sure I'd want an unbound fibreglass handle.
A padded cotton sleeve that slides on & off easily would work.

The cord arrived today. Its very soft and silky but of course it might
still be irritating.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wZ46hH8unMjYL8Ag8

Wondering about oiling it and putting it in a hot oven to create a sort of
€śvarnish€ť to seal the fibres.

Tim

RTV Silicone is quite happy at 200C and would probably take to the stove
rope nicely. You can get higher temperature Silicone for cookers too,
the only one I've seen is rust red.

--
Cheers
Clive