Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gluing Aluminium

Yes if the casting is quite thick and is not suffering the porosity issue, a
couple of self tapping screws in a brace on the hidden side might help with
strength, ideally an angled section.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Aug 2020 12:23:11 +0100, Pinnerite
wrote:

I have some cast aluminium garden chairs.
The screw holding one of the arms got loose and I forgot to tighten it.

Yesterday the top of the arm snapped off, leaving the screw in place.

I have the arm and the s,mall piece that snapped off.
The ends are clean and thankfully not shiny smooth but bright
non-the-less.

I have gorilla clue, araldite and regular superglue.

Will any of those be OK or should I buy something else?

I would go for a two-part epoxy (so like Araldite) but specifically
'JB Weld', but only depending on what sort of stresses will be on the
finished joint compared with the joint faces etc.

If they are likely to be great then it might be worth considering
bracing (at the back etc) the joints with some other metal, also
bonded to them with JB Weld.

Cheers, T i m