Posted to uk.d-i-y
pinnerite pinnerite is offline

Default Gluing Aluminium

On 08/08/2020 16:33, newshound wrote:
On 08/08/2020 14:24, Chris Bacon wrote:
On 08/08/2020 12:23, Pinnerite wrote:
I have some cast aluminium garden chairs.
The screw holding one of the arms got loose and I forgot to tighten it.

Yesterday the top of the arm snapped off, leaving the screw in place.

I have the arm and the s,mall piece that snapped off.
The ends are clean and thankfully not shiny smooth but bright
non-the-less.

If it takes any amount of force, e.g. from someone leaning on it, get
someone to weld it, or brace and glue it. I'd use Araldite
slow-setting were I gluing.

I have now idea what's permissible in NGs these daze, but could you
put pics somewhere and post some means to find them?

+1. It all depends on the area too. You are unlikely to be able to
butt-join a thin cast section. But if it is such that you can bridge the
crack and then fill the non-visible side with a good epoxy you might get
away with it.

I have decided to try the two part Gorilla.
Welding is not possible.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.