Posted to uk.d-i-y
polygonum_on_google[_2_] polygonum_on_google[_2_] is offline

Default Insulating a pan handle

On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 19:47:14 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 18:38:22 UTC+1, JimK wrote:
polygonum_on_google Wrote in message:
On Wednesday, 5 August 2020 15:27:01 UTC+1, Tim+ wrote:
polygonum_on_google wrote:

That is one of the reasons I really appreciate induction hobs. Virtually
no spill of heat up the sides. Recently used a gas hob a few times and
that has re-confirmed I would never voluntarily go back to gas.

True, but on the lowest gas setting on the smallest burner the lid is only
really getting heated by steam inside the pan. I?m sure after an hour on an
induction hob the lid would probably be just as hot.

Tim

The lid would be - but the side handles are much hotter over even a very low gas ring.

I regularly cook a soup using one particular large pan with small D handles. On induction, I can pick the pan up by them even when it has been cooking for an hour. Over gas, I had to progressively move it from large, to medium, to small burner (on lowest possible flame) in order to achieve a very gentle simmer. And the D handles were too hot to willingly touch let alone pick up the pan.

About 100 Deg C maybe?

And you think on induction your pan doesn't get as hot, but the
soup magically does? :-D

On a gas ring, hot, even very hot, gases stream up the side of the pan and heat the handles. Typically, the inside of the pan, above the food/water level, gets considerably hotter than 100C.

That sounds unlikely to me...
you know this because?

On an induction hob, the contents can be simmering at very close to 100C, but virtually no heat from below the pan comes up at all. Just whatever airflow is caused by a fairly hot pan surface. The pan contents get hot because the base of the pan gets hot.

But magically not the connected sides of the pan, connected to the
base & in contact with the contents? Rriigghhtt...

If you look at pans with bakelite or other plastic handles, you can usually tell those which were used on gas hobs due to heat damage. Those used on induction look pristine.

Because some fool has used the pan on an oversized gas ring(s) &
literally burnt it's edges /handles...

"In terms of energy use, research generally indicates that induction hobs are cheaper to run, with induction hobs proving to be 74% efficient in converting energy to heat, using 57% less energy than gas hobs."

https://www.uswitch.com/energy-savin...cient-cooking/

So where does the extra energy used by a gas hob go? Hint, most of it flows as hot air (and burned gas) up the sides of any pan sitting on the ring. Hitting any pan handles as it goes.

Bakelite will eventually deteriorate due to this. One gentle use has little impact. Repeated use over years becomes obvious.

It is quite obvious if you compare the food in two pans - one heated by induction the other by gas.

Induction makes the food towards the bottom heat up and convection and stirring distribute it.

Gas heats the bottom of the pan, that much is similar, but you will also see that spatters inside the pan tend to cook on because the whole side of the pan is heated. You can often see a ring of fairly well caked-on food at about the liquid level in the pan.