Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mercury Regatta mobility scooter?

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 03:08:44 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 05/08/2020 00:03, wrote:

From what little I've seen I doubt it's ever worth contacting a mobility dealer. Every other option will be much cheaper & usually better.

Good ones are few and far between.

And because they are associated with 'medical' (and I don't think you
can even say 'low volumes' these days, all be it may not be 'mass
production'), they seem expensive, as are the spares (therefore),
even second hand ones.

It's not because the parts are expensive, it's because they can and
they know in many cases the people rely on these things for their
freedom and will pay?

You can see how fast the depreciate to get an idea of their true
value.

A pair of batteries cost £200, £200 for motor and transaxle and
wheels, a speed controller maybe £100, seat £50, another £100 for all
the ancillaries (switches, lights, knobs and grips etc), and say
another £350 for the chassis (often only 1" sq tubing) and bodywork
and you are only at ~£1000 (and I think they might all be way over
estimated if bought at trade / bulk prices). So that leaves £2000 for
assembly costs, profit (manufacturer, distributor, retailer) minus
any warrantee etc?

You an buy a Dacia Sandero for £6,995 (list price new) and that has a
million more bits and steel than a scooter!

Cheers, T i m