Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mercury Regatta mobility scooter?

On Fri, 7 Aug 2020 03:05:21 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 06/08/2020 22:47, T i m wrote:

There's a very simple thing to drill into scooter riders: "LET GO!" In
other words, if it's all going wrong, release your grip and lift your
hands off the controls. The scooter will stop dead.

What was interesting with tonight's electric-brake-less test run was
how much motor braking it's got, making me think the only role the
electromagnetic brake provides is a parking brake?

All scooters should stop dead when you let go of the controls. No over run.

I guess you don't actually mean 'stop dead' Bill as that's likely to
give the rider quite a shock (like riding into a brick wall) or lock
the braked wheel(s)[1] up so it must be a level of 'rapid
deceleration' of some sort?

So, if a 135kg passenger on a 100kg scooter (Regatta Mercury with 21st
rider) so over 1/4 of a tonne total) is running at 8mph on a flat hard
surface, how far do you think most scooters might travel, 1m, .5m,
..25m or do you really mean 0m? What about on grass / gravel?

In the case of the TGA Ultralight (trike) the driven wheel is the
single at the front and so that's the one that would be braked. ;-(

I don't know if the electromagnetic brakes have a level of 'slip' so
that they don't *instantly* lock the motor as I'm not sure doing so
would be good for the brake, motor or transmission ... but if it
brought it to a 'rapid halt', that would result in much more actual
braking at the wheels because of the gearing (like a transmission
brake on the propshaft of a 4X4).

It would make sense that it did slip to some level as that would bring
the scooter to a 'rapid' but not (attempt to bring it to an) instant
halt.

I will be interested to do the experiment when we get the replacement
brake. ;-)

Cheers, T i m