Posted to uk.d-i-y
soup[_9_] soup[_9_] is offline

Default OT R/C Tank battery charger or replacement

On 03/08/2020 18:33, G r o g wrote:
I have found an old radio control tank I thought had been lost years
ago, trouble is the battery charger is also lost, probably thrown out
because I thought the tank was gone for good.
The battery has to be removed from the tank to charge it, it's 8 AA size
cells in a plastice shrink wrap

Dubious, don't you mean six. Eights do exist but generally these
'Chinese' 1/16 tanks are 7.2V
Nominal voltage on fully charged NiCd is 1.2V Six NiCads= 7.2V
Rough 'scale' of tank, is it 1/16 or is it perhaps smaller ?
if much smaller all bets are off as it may well have customised batteries.

with a 2 pin Molex type connector

Tamiya style plug?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Gxy5w&usqp=CAU

Â* I've search the 'net for a
replacement battery and charger without any luck so I'm hoping someone
in this group can point me toward solution.Â* The battery pack is a
fairly tight fit into the tank so I'm going to need an almost direct
replacement.
I have a pic of the battery but have no idea how to post it to the 'net.
They may be nicad batteries, given the age of it which adds to the
problem.

More than possible. They are still sold today with NiCd (Maybe NiMh)
batteries even though LiPo and LiFe are almost mainstream

Sorry for bleating on at length but can anyone offer possible solutions?
Thanks for reading,

Local model shop is bound to sell six cell NiCd(or NiMh these days they
are pretty much a straight swap for NiCd) and chargers for same.
Or try Amazon/ebay etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MELASTA-420...782455&sr=8-26

Maybe one of the multi voltage multi plug things for a charger you may
have to get the soldering iron out to change plug to your style.
Or maybe this type which looks like you would get away with no soldering
(though it is advisable).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Cable... 83431&sr=8-9

First stop would be (for me anyway) the local model shop with all bits
to hand and ask them