Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Wow, expensive lighting!

On 8/6/2020 11:41 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 01:17:33 +0100, dpb wrote:
On 8/4/2020 6:37 PM, Snag wrote:

** I could fabricate the structural components in my shop . The hardest
part would be slotting the brass tubing .

Nothing exotic there construction-wise, certainly...at least from
appearances.

One gathers these are done one-off from the description to justify the
pricing structure and sell as art rather than lighting fixture.

It looked pretty standardised to me.

"One of the benefits of creating hand-machined and hand-assembled
lighting is having a facility where we can show our process to our
clients and other lighting enthusiasts."

But, looking at the web site which also says specifically

"In 2011, a small team with a big passion for design embarked upon a
mission to bring a fresh perspective on lighting technology to an
industry poised for change. Juniper would soon become one of the early
pioneers of the burgeoning Brooklyn contemporary lighting scene..."

"Today, Juniper is a fully-integrated design and manufacturing studio.
Honesty, passion, and craftsmanship are fundamental in our quest to
bring upscale architectural lighting to homes, offices, and hospitality
spaces worldwide. Juniper has recently expanded its location as an
architectural lighting company into a New York showroom and
manufacturing facility in Connecticut."

If you're going to support that kind of high-end product, volume is
necessarily going to be low and margins will have to be high to make
things work...until the niche market becomes large enough the knockoffs
show up, anyway.

I'd guess there are a lot of laser slotters there or they buy the tubing
already slotted from the manufacturer.