Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mercury Regatta mobility scooter?

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 01:38:24 +0100, williamwright
wrote:

On 04/08/2020 00:47, T i m wrote:

She did ride Dads lightweight / take-down trike but when coming to a
halt on the down-amp at a pedestrian crossing, rather than just
letting go of the throttle bar her ancient cycle riding muscle memory
kicked in and she pulled what she for that second thought was the
front brake. ;-(

There's a very simple thing to drill into scooter riders: "LET GO!" In
other words, if it's all going wrong, release your grip and lift your
hands off the controls. The scooter will stop dead.

What was interesting with tonight's electric-brake-less test run was
how much motor braking it's got, making me think the only role the
electromagnetic brake provides is a parking brake?

I couldn't tell if the overrun braking was just because the
transmission was spinning the motor or that there was some motor
braking (by shorting it out when in 'neutral').

On a footbridge with ramp, the scooter would freewheel down at about
1mph, so if mum got off it and wasn't careful, it could run (well,
'stroll) away. At least I know we can carry on safely testing it in
the meantime. ;-)

Cheers, T i m