Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mercury Regatta mobility scooter?

On Thu, 6 Aug 2020 09:02:04 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

snip

Initially I thought it might be like my Messerschmitt KR200 but then I
saw it was *nothing* like that (wheelbase longer than the track, front
wheel steering, sliding windows, easy to get in and out of etc).

That Hoffmann looks like it was 'designed' by Crazy Jim, not wanting
to conform to any standards and not realising how undesirable that is?

The kabinenroller was one of the best designed microcars.

It was (is) pretty good. At least if you drove to the end the garage
you could still get out of it, unlike many 'other' microcars of the
time. ;-)

The Hoffmann is truly the worst ever found. What Jason doesn't address there is the steering crisis - I won't call it a problem. Turning the steering wheel moves the car sideways as you saw on the vid. What this means is that once you go full lock, it becomes physically impossible to turn the steering wheel back to straight, centripetal force from cornering keeps it locked.

No, I got that from the video!

So in real world driving the thing is strongly prone to going out of control on corners. I suspect after a couple of drives it was never used again.

I can see it 'flopped' onto one lock or another, horrible. ;-(

Cheers, T i m