Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mercury Regatta mobility scooter?

On Thursday, 6 August 2020 09:28:20 UTC+1, T i m wrote:
On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 17:24:15 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
snip

Bottom line, I can either try to skim the disk (might be able to mount
it on the lathe) or space the mech out slightly so that in the
manually 'opened' position the disk floats freely (even if it doesn't
when it should be electrically activated).

are they not cheaply available used on ebay?

Possibly, depending on how you see 'cheaply'.

If it had failed at 13 months on a 3 grand buggy then Ł100 or even
Ł300 for a new one (these *******s are a ripoff) could be considered
'cheap'.

If you only paid Ł200 for the buggy then even Ł65 for a second hand
one is quite expensive?

Now, the good thing is that I believe it will run without the brake
fitted (it will need to be in the loom because it kills the throttle
if the override lever (microswitch) is actuated and the brake actuator
coil (45 ohms) out of circuit, but I don't think it can detect it's
not mechanically installed) so we (not Mum) can give it a run (many
times round the block) to check all is well again before sourcing a
replacement.

The is a chance you could buy a complete damaged scooter privately for
less than the cost of the part. The st//dealers tend to break them and
sell them on eBay.

I have seen this model complete and running sold on eBay for ~Ł400 so
if we get a known working one for less than that I guess we could
count that as a result?

Cheers, T i m

Depends what your time's worth.

Re brakes, yes they can work without a brake. But it would be a concern to operate one like that outside of testing it somewhere safe.

From the very few I've seen it seems mob scooters have all sorts of design oddities. Steering that's not Ackermann, brakes that can be deactivated by the user with no marking, no warning and no obvious effect on operation, that insane 5 wheel setup etc. Reminds me of the somewhat famous 1951 Hoffmann car.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y16ObVRvgOE
and he doesn't even do its terribleness justice.

NT