Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mercury Regatta mobility scooter?

On Wed, 5 Aug 2020 18:24:58 +0100, Chris Bacon
wrote:

On 05/08/2020 13:11, T i m wrote:
Bottom line ...

My Mum had a mobility scooter... just a thought in case you have not
considered it, what happens if it packs up when she's out on her own,

That is a good question Chris and one I had considered ...

if
she will be going out on her own?

Another good question. One of the things I have learned about this
Regatta scooter compared with a neighbours Shoprider is that you can't
decouple the drive from the wheels. All the 'override' lever does is
manually releases the motor brake so if it had an electrical failure
you can push it but it doesn't freewheel very well.

On the Shoprider you could disconnect the drivetrain from the axle
with a lever, overcoming any motor / electric-brake problems. This
means that it would be 'easier' for a good Samaritan to get her home
[1]. ;-)

You've done far more than most owners
to it, and know your way around it, however it needs to be 100%
reliable, or she needs a way of getting help, fast, if it stops.

Agreed, and that brings us to your first questions.

If Mum was on her own with it (and that's a big if atm), she would
only be local and near a road, meaning we could get to her. We would
arrange to stay local etc.

The first time the Mrs accompanied a elderly neighbour out on her
Shoprider it broke down, I was called (and diagnosed water in the
speed-controller[2]) and was able to get them and the scooter in the
Meriva and back to her home.

I feel I could do the same with this one as it is a similar size, all
be it that I would probably have to take the batteries out first, if I
was to lift it in on my own.

If Mum was to go further afield, around our larger parks, the chances
are we would be with her and we have the number of the Parks Patrols
and Rangers who I'm sure would help if the scooter became sufficiently
disabled that we couldn't push / pull it [3]. About the only thing
that might do that (seeing how substantially built the chassis /
rolling gear are (up to 25st)), is this motor brake seizing up and (as
you say) I would now be able to remove it fairly quickly and with some
basic tools (probably even just the Leatherman that is my daily
carry).

With the worst case risk in mind, I'm not sure how much more reliable
a new one might be?

I was looking after the web-logging and photo uploads for one of our
BMW motorcade club members who took herself solo round-the-world.

She could have bought a new bike but chose to go on her own 20 year
old one because it was 'known' to her and much less complicated than
the latest offerings. This meant that if it did need maintenance, it
was more easily found (around the world) by anyone with sufficient
tools, no need for diagnostic gear etc.

I note that some of the newer mobility scooters are also 'digital'
with the added diagnostic / repair issues that might bring, so if I
was to trust my Mum on something I think I'd possibly prefer something
I stood a chance of repairing outside of warranty?

All things to further consider though (including the idea of some sort
of emergency 'get you home' system we could switch to in the event of
the std electronics failing).

Cheers, T i m

[1] We have lived in the area most our lives (so that's 90 years for
my Mum) and she and Dad were often out in the community so she knows
an awful lot of people. ;-)

[2] It turned out water was running a torturous path past the rain
cover and into the speed controller that was mounted upside down,
meaning the 'lid' filled up with water, eventually splashing onto the
electronics when they went over the wrong bump. After recovering them
I removed it, stripped it down, dried it off, sprayed it with WD40 and
left it out to dry in her conservatory for a few days before
re-assembling. 'Luckily' it worked fine afterwards. ;-)

[3] Mum can walk a reasonable distance (it's feet problems rather than
heart, lungs or balance), it's just that she would pay for it when she
got home and the next day. ;-(