Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mercury Regatta mobility scooter?

On Wed, 05 Aug 2020 06:55:12 -0400, Paul
wrote:

T i m wrote:

I think if I had been riding it I would have 'felt' it wasn't rolling
/ running freely.

Is there any way to monitor "load amps" ?

Yea ... and funnily something I believe we have already done on that
particular buggy (with a clip on ammeter), before I had an interest in
the buggy and for / with it's previous owner.

snip good stuff that I am familiar stuff for brevity

I was designing 'occupancy detection' on a semi-automate model railway
layout by putting a test pulse out on each of the segments of the
layout, with the PWM signal fed through a Hall effect sensor and a
section would be considered as occupied by reading more than 0 Amps.
;-)

So, it's possible this electromagnetic clutch-brake has been marginal
for some time and was pushed past the point of functionality
yesterday.

The fact that the three screws that hold the clutch-brake together
were all lose suggest someone may have done that to allow some 'slack'
in the assembly.

The friction disk smells like Bakelite and given it won't ever release
mechanically (manual override) and that mech is working, I'm wondering
if the friction disk may have swollen due to damp or somesuch?

Bottom line, I can either try to skim the disk (might be able to mount
it on the lathe) or space the mech out slightly so that in the
manually 'opened' position the disk floats freely (even if it doesn't
when it should be electrically activated).

Cheers, T i m