Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Antenna Tower height ...

On 8/5/2020 9:13 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/05/2020 06:22 AM, dpb wrote:
On 8/4/2020 10:14 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 08/04/2020 07:40 PM, wrote:
The lift is near me, $250 all day or $185 for 4 hours.

How much does it weigh? The neighborhood handyman pruned the trees
last year and rented a massive, self-propelled lift. I've no idea what
it grossed but it left 6" deep ruts in the lawn, something a normal
pickup never did. He filled the ruts this spring and I seeded them but
I can still feel the bump with the lawnmower.

My old JLG 40H weighs about 12,500 lb; a newish 400H 4WD is closer to
14-15,000 lb.

It wasn't either of those but that's the general idea. Some of the limbs
were getting close to the power line, but that was a little overkill for
the job. He's a nice guy but I think there was a little 'Ooh, ooh, new
toy!' factored in when he went to the rental place. I walk by there
during lunch sometimes and they have some less tank-like lifts.

They're all pretty close to the same, Genie, JLG, SkyTrak for
similar-sized units. There is more variability in the tow type because
there are really lightweight units all the way to the JLG/Genie HD ones
that can be pretty stout.

JLG has a 50/60 footer now on a 65 mph towing rig... I suppose Genie
probably has similar but haven't seen it.

That's a potentially dangerous task with a manlift -- the buckets in
them are NOT isolated like on a electric utility service truck boom.
All it takes is one oops! with them.

That said, I bought this one (eBay for $5K) some 10-15 years ago when
started to re-roof the old barn. It was a game changer then and has
continued to be...we've repainted the house several years ago (2-story +
attic), then completely resided it and did a lot of other restoration
work this past year plus the tree-trimming and any number of other tasks
am just not up to getting on a ladder for any more...including putting
the power line back up (3rd time, now, need to get it buried) after
t-storm took down a branch...it's just a branch feeder to the old shop,
though, so can isolate it to work on; don't have to try to do it live.

And, is only 240V, not the POCO line...