Posted to sci.electronics.repair
legg legg is offline

Default optical drive - DVD media recognition

On Tue, 4 Aug 2020 22:54:21 +0200, bilou wrote:

On 04/08/2020 21:37, legg wrote:
The defective disk loads and displays normally, with the newly-
burned data on my laptop (mitsubishi dvdwriter). All 6200 files
are in their proper directory structures.

A trick I found useful sometimes is reading the bad DVDR with the
bad drive upside down or on its side.
It is very time consuming any way :-(

Well, I know that works with floppies, but it's not really
practical with internal drives.

I've got two towers that expect the optical drive to work
sideways, which they mostly do, until they don't. It was one of
those that developed the sticky door (before it was replaced).
You could get it going temporarily with a slim jim pressed
under a left 'bottom' edge, when restored to horizontal, later.

RL