Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Mercury Regatta mobility scooter?

On Tue, 04 Aug 2020 00:47:16 +0100, T i m wrote:

snip

So, tomorrow morning I hope to do the other side and anything else I
can strip / clean / check / lube and make notes of any bearings I find
questionable, ready to replace if Mum likes it and decides to keep it.

update

So, I did the other side front suspension trailing arm and again, the
only grease in there was what I put in the day before.

One rear (drive) wheel was rusted on, tapped that off with a length of
wood and hammer across / under the buggy with the help of some
penetrating oil.

Puncturesealed the tyres and inflated to 26 psi.

The Mrs rode it round to Mums (1km) and it seemed to run ok. We got
Mum on it on a straight bit of pavement, covered the basic controls
(repeated the 'if you get in an emergency, let go of everything'
instruction) and did a further .5km when it just cut out and the
overload had tripped. It seemed to be running freely, the motor was
fairly warm so we gave it a few minutes and set off again. I did hear
a bit of a light screeching noise (that wasn't there before) at what
felt like motor RPM but we carried on into the park. Again, it did
another .5km or so when it cut out again but this time the motor was
very hot.

I tried to explain to Mum that if it started to feel 'slow' (for any
particular throttle setting), that she shouldn't push on but let me
know, but I don't think she heard, understood or remembered. ;-(

So, we left it for a good hour while the dogs ran about then she rode
it home (ok this time) and the Mrs rode it back here (no screeching
noise this time).

However, I suspect the electric brake is sticking but took the motor
out just to 1) check that was running freely (it was) and 2) check the
brushes (they were 'ok' but will get new ones [1]) and that 3) the
transmission seemed free (it did).

I'll see if I can get the electric brake to bits tomorrow, see if
there is anything that can be freed / etc. I think the micro switch
works as when the brake is in the 'free' position it disables the
throttle.

If it wasn't releasing properly that would sure explain the hot motor
and tripping. ;-(

I think if I had been riding it I would have 'felt' it wasn't rolling
/ running freely.

In spite of those hiccups, Mum seemed very happy on it but we didn't
really try any of the other stuff (getting it into her back garden
down the side alley) because of the issues.

Cheers, T i m

[1] It could probably also do with a least a pair of rear tyres
(deterioration of the sidewalls) but if she goes ahead with it, she
will probably happily get a complete set and because they are split
rims, we can keep one or two of them as spares and carry one and a
tube when going further afield (with some tools / small pump), in case
she does some real damage (rides over a broken bottle etc).