Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Reliablest cars

Trevor Wilson wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Trevor Wilson wrote:

Every time some nong says: "Oh, that is very homely". I just want
to scream. Look up 'homely' in the dictionary, you stupid poms.

That's because it's a programme made by brits, for brits, and that's
the way we use the word, to describe homes.Â* Feel free to export your
tv shows to us and use words the way you use them .... personally I've
never heard "homely" used to describe a person.

**Sorry, but I am unable to access the Oxford English Dictionary.

Let me help you out ... British usage of the word is in sense 1 or sense 2a

================================

homely, adj.

Etymology: home + -ly suffix compare Middle Dutch heimelīke, heimelijk

1.

Of or belonging to a household or home. Also: of or belonging to a
person's own country or native land. rare after 16th cent.

2.

a. Characteristic or suggestive of a home (esp. a modest one) or of
domestic life; ordinary, everyday; simple, plain, unsophisticated;
rough, rustic. In later use also (chiefly British, of a place or its
atmosphere, etc.): cosy, comfortable.

b. Of a person: of humble background; having a plain or simple nature;
unsophisticated; rustic.

c. Esp. of a person: of plain appearance; unattractive. Now North American.

3.

a. With €*to, with. Of a person or a person's manner: familiar; friendly;
intimate. rare after 17th cent.

b. Chiefly Scottish. Kind, kindly; courteous. Now rare.

c. Of things: familiar; well-known. Now rare.