Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default What is it called? (An Anti-convection Air Tube?)

On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 20:40:07 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 03 Aug 2020 19:21:31 -0300, Nick Odell
wrote:

On Mon, 3 Aug 2020 11:19:40 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Monday, 3 August 2020 17:50:53 UTC+1, Nick Odell wrote:
I am thinking about constructing a tube to suck hot air from near the
ceiling of a high-ceiling room and reintroduce it and mix it with the
colder air at floor level. I have seen these things at work in other
buildings but I do not know what they are called.

I would like to read a bit more about them and find out if any
improvements from mixing hot air into the cold are worth the effort
but I am stuck by not knowing a suitable search term.

Any suggestions. please?

Nick

Air recirculation.
It tends to arise in domestic air heating systems.

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...=819 &bih=500

Thanks but that is a more sophisticated system than I have in mind.

The thing I am thinking of is nothing more than an open-ended vertical
tube mounted against a wall - one in a school where I used to work was
rectangular section and simply looked like a covering for pipes or
cables.

At one end of the tube is a fan - like a desktop computer fan - and it
sucks the hot air in at the top and blows it out at the bottom to even
out the temperature through the room.

Nick

Where I used to work they had a large and high sectional building
housing the pilot-plant equipment. Despite using industrial heaters it
was always chilly in there, and expensive to run the heaters, until
one bright spark suggested the system you've described. Worked very
well - evened up the temperature from floor to ceiling significantly
and reduced the costs.

Earlier today I was looking at some square-section white PVC guttering
downpipe. That would be ideal for what you want, fitted into the
corner of a room and unobtrusive.

That is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind. Probably done before
redecorating the room so I can paper/paint/blend it in some way so
that it does not look like PVC guttering on the inside wall :-)

Nick