Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Modifying/improving a Erde 102 trailer.

On 03/08/2020 11:57, wrote:
On Monday, 3 August 2020 10:32:46 UTC+1, No Name wrote:
I have a 3ft by 4ft trailer, like this one:

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/tr...er-216502.html

The rear panel drops down and is unhookable and hence removable from its
hinges.

The remaining 3 sides are fixed. They are bolted to the base of the box.

I would like to try and reduce the volume of space it takes up in my
garage by essentially converting it to a collapsible trailer.

My idea is to buy a pair of 4ft long piano hinges and a 3ft piano hinge
and install them in between the three fixed panels and the base of the
trailer box.

The idea is that the two side panels can fold down flat over the wheels
and the front panel fold down onto the Tow bar arm, thus reducing the
space needed for storage in my garage.

Has anyone done this or have a better idea?

Obviously my main concern is not affecting its load carrying capacity....

S.

Piano hinges are light duty, so not suitable.
A quick glance suggests it's all or partly monocoque construction. If so, the sides being joined is critical to its structural capacity, making fold-flat not an option with the existing trailer bed/side materials. You might be able to attach the axle & drawbar to a new bed & sides.

NT

Agreed. I *thought* I could see evidence of a steel chassis though. The
OP needs to turn it upside down and look.