Posted to uk.d-i-y
Max Demian Max Demian is offline

Default NO more free TV licence from today

On 02/08/2020 10:15, T i m wrote:
On 1 Aug 2020 23:44:33 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 01 Aug 2020 22:16:10 +0100, T i m wrote:

On Sat, 1 Aug 2020 18:03:26 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

Anyone had the letter from TV LIcensing yet ?.

BBC Moneybox says they will send out letters, so any emails,
texts or phone calls will be from scammers. Some folks will fall for a
scammer though.

But there are still free licences aren't there, over 75 and on pension
credits, 1.5M of them?

Of course, there may be unexpected consequences. Lots of eligible people,
who haven't doen it until now, deciding to apply for pension credit.

I think the real issue here is giving the licence free to some in the
first place. People were paying and were ok with that (few other
choices, good content, no advertising etc), just as all those who know
if they want to watch Netflix or Amazon Video now they have to pay for
it. The problem arises when you make it free to anyone and then decide
to take that away again.

I think the biggest insult is what I remember being only a tiny
discount to 'viewers' (as that's the primary interface of 'TV'
(compared with radio)) who were registered blind?

I appreciate the impact would vary depending on what was on ... and
how good the narration was, but still. ;-(

The discount was the same as the radio licence on the grounds that blind
people got that for free (£1.25). When that was abolished the discount
continued at the same rate, as you can't remove a benefit that people
are used to even if it doesn't make any sense or they will make a fuss;
as the BBC/Government have discovered with the abolition of the over 75
free licence.

I never understood TV licence discounts for blind people before AD was
introduced.

--
Max Demian