Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul[_46_] Paul[_46_] is offline

Default Win 10 file sharing problem

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Paul wrote:
iPv6 disabled long ago. ;-)

IPV6 necessary for HomeGroups.

Win10 doesn't do Homegroups. Workgroup only.

However I did load Win7 on the machine which has multi-boot, and
presumably IPV6 still enabled, and on the old Homegroup system. It talked
just fine to other Win10 machines, all of which had IPV6 disabled.

I don't use Homegroups, but picked this up while thread-browsing.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...a-3b75f212d23a

Somebody thinks there is a dependency. It doesn't
make a lot of sense particularly.

Windows 10 did have Homegroups, but they've been deprecated.
(A certain release removed Homegroup support.)

The services for Homegroups, at least a couple, are still
there. I didn't check for all of them. I was just surprised
they weren't removed.

Does it mean a grandfathered Homegroup could work ? Dunno.
Not enough feature-kill evident to prevent it.

Paul