Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Power meter plug suitable for PC?

"Brian Gaff (Sofa)" wrote in message
I can remember when I worked at a factory which made tvs back in the valve
days, they used an autotransformer, so chassis was live and a half wave
rectifier. They ran soak tests on the sets in huge banks, and got a visit
from the Electric company about them squashing the half phase they wre on
they had to have a three phase supply fitted and run some off of each
phase.

What I never quite got was that most makers at the time did the same thing
so out in homes these sets were all doing this, surely?

Yes, but by definition the ones in homes would be randomly
spread across the phases in the streets, not all on the one phase.

"jon" wrote in message ...
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 11:24:31 +0100, Pamela wrote:

Is this sort of plug-in power meter suitable for measuring a desktop PC
with a switched mode power supply?

I bought something similar a long time ago but found it was giving
misleading readings. Are these better now?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Consumption.../dp/B07FZZ17ZY

Switchmode power supplies don't seem to adversely affect the supply
electricity meter, but I am sure a large inductive load with a directly
chopped supply would affect everyone up the road.