Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Stick welding revelation

On 31/07/2020 10:43, T i m wrote:
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 09:03:54 +0100, Muddymike
wrote:

snip

Ive always thought stick welding was a black art.

Not black art but one of those things where 1) it's much easier using
the right gear 2) in the right position 3) on the right job (to start
with especially) and 4) ideally with a mentor to give you tips re the
approach and what is right (setup wise, rather than what should right.
The books / chart says 60A but in fact on that particular setup you
actually *need* 75A etc).

I have found being able to get into a comfortable position helps greatly
- even simple things like when using a new (i.e. long) rod, using my
free hand to prop the electrode somewhere nearer the business end, makes
for a much easier job of keeping it where you want and not waggling all
over the place!

p.s. Whilst I could weld (stick / gas) and had my own gear from an
early age, I got loads of good mentoring from a coded welder who
really did make it look so easy. Even welding a h/d pipe overhead in
cramped conditions. ;-)

I count anything under 2' from the ground as cramped conditions these days!

--
Cheers,

John.