Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Plague of flies

In message , Harry Bloomfield
writes
Cynic wrote :
I recall once opening a loft hatch in one house I worked in.
Everything was coated with flies. Apparently it was a cluster fly
infestation.
One source suggested it was a sign of a healthy earthworm population
in the lawn.
https://www.rentokil.co.uk/blog/the-...cluster-flies/

The warmth yesterday afternoon, brought out lots of flies here in the
garden. A slim bodied fly with what looked like four quite slim wings,
which folded tight above their thorax once they landed.

I wonder what they were - is there a fly identification website?

Lot of queen Ants taking off yesterday evening. Probably more today!
Nice to see the birds gathering them up from hard surfaces this morning.

If you look for small piles of soil on your lawn, poking a sharp tool
underneath will often reveal Ant pupae and a flock of slightly angry
Ants:-)

--
Tim Lamb