Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete section next to hardwood!

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 20:23:13 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 23:19:10 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Abby
wrote:

I am having my hardwood floor refinished. An old fireplace that was on a concert block was replaced with a wood stove so now part of the old block is covered with ugly ceramic tile. Any suggestions as how to handle a replacement? The concrete is level with the hardwood floor & I was hoping to avoid an elevated ridge.

You didn't answer whether the stove is still there or not.

If not, what do you plan to put there?

If they're the same level now and you cah't take out the concrete, I
can only recommend paint of some sort.

I've had good luck, in terms of appearance and probably longevity, with
auto paint like dark brown. because it's shiny, even without clear coat.

Mediium brown metallic or dark brown metallic. Of course the cement is
not metallica but it will still look good. YOu may need some kind of
primer for it to stick, I don't know.

I'd knock off the old tile, fill in any pits and cracks, and apply an
epoxy "rock" finish

I doubt that meets the fire code either. Epoxy out gasses some pretty
nasty stuff when it burns.