Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete section next to hardwood!

On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 05:04:42 -0700 (PDT), Abby
wrote:

On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 12:49:44 AM UTC-2:30, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Abby
wrote:

I am having my hardwood floor refinished. An old fireplace that was on a concert block was replaced with a wood stove so now part of the old block is covered with ugly ceramic tile. Any suggestions as how to handle a replacement? The concrete is level with the hardwood floor & I was hoping to avoid an elevated ridge.

You didn't answer whether the stove is still there or not.

If not, what do you plan to put there?

If they're the same level now and you cah't take out the concrete, I
can only recommend paint of some sort.

I've had good luck, in terms of appearance and probably longevity, with
auto paint like dark brown. because it's shiny, even without clear coat.

Mediium brown metallic or dark brown metallic. Of course the cement is
not metallica but it will still look good. YOu may need some kind of
primer for it to stick, I don't know.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Yes the wood stove is still there surrounded with brown brick. I removed the tiles and now I see a piece of concrete that is level with the wood floor. Don't want to get into the mess of removing concrete to allow for wood. I like the idea of painting the concrete, perhaps the same colour as the brick?? and have the floor refinisher put a trim around it. BTW, the contractor suggested covering it with wood but I think that would be too high of a ridge. Again, thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated!

Look into concrete acid staining. If you then seal it with a shiny
sealer you can get some pretty interesting designs.
You still might have to grind it to get any old grout or mastic off,
depending on how the tile was set