Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ghost Signs (Preservation)

You really should have used the link to a wiki, but anyway, I understand
these are old legacy signs from the past, mainly painted onto render or
brickwork on the sides of buildings and other structures.
They tended to promote companies, so I'd imagine permission had to be gained
from the people who owned the building unless it was the person needing the
advert.

Later on, I imagine they tended to be painted on sheets of material and
screwed onto the wall, so the company, when they moved simply took it with
them.
I do remember on when I was a kid somewhere on the Isle of Wight which was
I seem to recall advertising a shoe shop.
It looked tatty then, bet its long gone now.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"michael adams" wrote in message

"TimW" wrote in message

Wot's a ghost sign? This isn't finger posts?

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=gh...w=1024&bih=642

As with manhole covers there are whole blogs/websites devoted to them.

michael adams