Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ghost Signs (Preservation)

I have never heard of a ghost sign myself.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
Hi All,

Does anyone have any knowledge of preserving / conserving / maintaining
ghost signs?

We have one (B&W) in the village which is Fading fast.

I have read that the reason many have lasted so long is
Because that were originally painted with lead based oil paint.

I presume that's not an option today.

Most of the (few) restorations I've seen online involve repainting to as new
condition.

I think it would be preferable to keep a weathered look, but in such a way
that it didn't need attention for at least a decade or preferably two or
three.

Any thoughts??