Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Concrete section next to hardwood!

On Wed, 29 Jul 2020 12:15:50 -0700 (PDT), Abby
wrote:

I am having my hardwood floor refinished. An old fireplace that was on a concert block was replaced with a wood stove so now part of the old block is covered with ugly ceramic tile. Any suggestions as how to handle a replacement? The concrete is level with the hardwood floor & I was hoping to avoid an elevated ridge.

If you really want it level. I would cut out the concrete, put in a
mud bed and try to match the floor.
The other problem is cutting out that concrete is dirtier than
refinishing the floor. You can build a tent around it to mitigate the
dust but it is still messy. This is also one of those times when you
really need an N-95 respirator.
The other problem is the new floor won't match so you are stuck with a
contrasting something. It might be possible that your floor guy has
some aged oak he could use and make it a little closer to a match. The
pros know more than I do about this tho. I still use a lot of red oak
here and I know matching old wood is tough. Usually it takes years for
them to get close in color if they ever match at all.