Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Plague of flies

Is anyone else being plagued by lots of flies indoors?

In the kitchen we have a UV light electrocution device (similar to the
Insectocutor ones that butchers use) and a length of sticky flypaper. But
the flies seem to avoid both of these. The UV zapper is great for catching
tiny fruit flies, but larger bluebottle sized flies don't seem to be
attracted to it. We've tried it both near a window (which will be light
during the day) and in a darker part of the room, and we've left it on
overnight when the UV light will be the only light source that the flies
will see.

We had a fly trap outside which mimicked the smell of rotten meat and that
caught thousands of flies but may need renewing because it doesn't seem to
be attracting as many flies now.

As I write, there are five of the little buggers flying around me all the
time. I've got a UV light right next to me, but they avoid that and fly
everywhere else...