Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Gram Input

On 27/07/2020 16:58, Brian Gaff (Sofa) wrote:
Yes well, much like early guitar amps or stuff of that ilk. I have to say
though that valve distortion was more tolerable than the early transistor
amps with crossover distortion due to the heat affecting where the linear
curve started and stopped.

About the best of the Germanium ones for sound was the z12 by Sinclair. It
could sound quite good but obviously on a scope at the crossover point,
though tiny, there ewes a bit of a signal there that varied with heat.
Much better later on when silicon devices came along, and finally power
fets.
Brian

Ah the Z12. With Sinclair's famous guarantee that "If you ever break it
we will fix it for 50p. I blew up several of them by managing to run
them with no speaker connected. You didn't even have to be providing a
signal at the time.