Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gram Input

Yes my Rogers Cadet has two plugs based on an octal system, and one is for
ceramic the other magnetic which has the riaa. I used a Decca Deram. That
was actually pretty amazing for a crystal pick up in its day. One thing is
of course when a mixer never had enough line inputs, ceramic cart settings
on a pick up input could be used if one was careful about matching and
levels.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 27/07/2020 08:57,
wrote:
Hi All,

Back in the day when I were too poor to born (I were knitted by the WRVS
and dropped throuh't letterbox when me mam weren't looking).

My "HiFi" Consisted of a busted Dansette clone with no amp or
transformer (we used my train set transformer and a dropper resister).
And the Gram input of a valve radio (we had a similar setup downstairs
which my father had built into an old sideboard to make a Radiogram)

Anyway, I used to play 45s and later LPs on this.

I imagine the radio was probably just post war.

Would this have had RIAA Compensation circuitry built in?

If it used s ceramic or crystal pickup voltage was proportional to
deflection, not to velocity, so it would not have needed one.

Just what I was going to say. Will have been "crystal" in those days. I
guess electromagnetic pickups might have been used in studio equipment.