Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gram Input

Have you ever looked at cylinders?
A lot of those used vertical modulation which made the groove shallow
sometimes and they relied on the thread pitch of the screw to keep it in the
right place. I did once see on the bbc stand at a show, an electrified
cylinder player sporting a goldring cartridge, but according to the bloke
there, the foil ones played OK, but not the pure wax ones as they were
drying out and cracking and there was a project to play them all with a
laser before they fell to bits. I wonder if in days to come we will start
having issues with CDs and other optical media?
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
On 27/07/2020 08:57,
wrote:
Hi All,

Back in the day when I were too poor to born (I were knitted by the WRVS
and dropped throuh't letterbox when me mam weren't looking).

My "HiFi" Consisted of a busted Dansette clone with no amp or transformer
(we used my train set transformer and a dropper resister). And the Gram
input of a valve radio (we had a similar setup downstairs which my father
had built into an old sideboard to make a Radiogram)

Anyway, I used to play 45s and later LPs on this.

I imagine the radio was probably just post war.

Would this have had RIAA Compensation circuitry built in?

If it used s ceramic or crystal pickup voltage was proportional to
deflection, not to velocity, so it would not have needed one.

Only the records sounded fine to me, which makes me wonder if RIAA isn't
that important??

Or maybe it did (and 78s also used RIAA??)

No, but they still had an amplitude/deflection
relationship.

TIA

Chris

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
...than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman