Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gram Input

Yes but wind up gramophones sounded quite nice the big ones anyway with
bass.

There were lots of eqs about, look at Decca FFRR, which to my ears sounded
screechy.

I actually think these days that some CDs seem to be being made with an odd
EQ setting as well. I've heard talk of this on high end players being
detected and compensated for giving some enhancement of the graininess some
recordings can exhibit. Sounds a bit like Russ Andrews territory to me, I
prefer the theory that the person doing the final balance was going deaf.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Monday, 27 July 2020 08:57:29 UTC+1, wrote:
Anyway, I used to play 45s and later LPs on this.
I imagine the radio was probably just post war.
Would this have had RIAA Compensation circuitry built in?

RIAA became standard about 1954 on LPs

Accoustic 78s were made without equalisation; electrical 78s had varying
equalisation curves depending on company (and year of production)

http://www.shellac.org/wams/wequal.html
and
http://midimagic.sgc-hosting.com/mixphono.htm

RIAA seems to be about average, if you have nothing else.

"the majority of all 78 rpm records can be equalised within a 2dB of the
nominal (or alleged) curves claimed, using 4 low and 5 high frequency
ranges - including flat and true RIAA for both."

Multi standard equaliser circuit

https://sound-au.com/project91.htm

Now it can be done in software
https://www.tracertek.com/cms-display/newway.html