Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Topfield 5810 repairs

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 10:07:14 +0100, Tim Lamb
wrote:

snip

Unfortunately if Mystuff was "beyond your competence level" then
possibly some of the better alternatives may require a bit more
technical knowledge.

I am afraid you are correct:-(

With advancing years, I seem to have lazily withdrawn from technological
progress.

I gave my Dad a modem and email account and guided him though it's
basic use. A couple of weeks later it came back in a carrier back with
a 'Thanks but no thanks'. Two years later the BSI went 'paperless' and
he paid someone £200 to install the very same thing I installed
previously. Of course he was then even further behind with the
technology and it took him even longer to get going.

'You can lead a horse to water ...' ;-)

Happily accepting the convenience of a mobile phone but
resisting the dependency of GPS

I'm not sure many need to *depend* on a GPS, they just find it more
convenient to, when the need arises?

A biker mate spent ~£15,000 on a new motorbike and was questioning
spending another £500 (then) on a GPS 'for the bike'. I highlighted
the point that the bike had no use for it, it was for him. ;-)

and totally opposed to gizmos like Alexa
and hive technology (yes it is convenient but totally dependent on
remote services with no back-up alternatives).

What couldn't you still do manually, even if you had the options? It's
like saying you don't want a TV remote when the TV still has the
manual buttons? ;-)

5g is frightening.

Coronavirus? ducks ;-)

My current bete noir is having to tidy my hair before talking to my
grandchildren on a i-pad!

;-)

I went from a Toppy to the the Enigma 2 boxes running OpenVix.. The
more modern boxes are more suited to Free to Air UK satellite rather
than terrestrial via an aerial. I run both satellite and terrestrial
on the same box (4 tuners). If buying again I would only go satellite.

https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/openvix-features-2/

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...rial/digital-r
eceivers

Umm.. I think our next generation TV system will be free to air
satellite but someone else can do the installation.

The irony is that as this kit evolves, it often assists you more re
setup and installation.

I installed my first satellite system many many years ago and the dish
sate on an old projector screen stand at the bottom of the garden.

The only time there were any issues with the pictures were when I
walked in front of the dish and so wasn't watching the TV. ;-)

When I wanted built a 6' rowing dinghy at woodwork at school, the
woodwork teacher asked me if I knew if I *could* build one? I replied
that I didn't know as I'd never tried before but I didn't know I
*couldn't* build one. ;-)

The reason I might still bother to do stuff myself is convenience and
the opportunity to doing it the way I wanted (as you did with much of
your LAN wiring, doing a better job with good advice from here than
the 'electrician did for you)? Same with your covered walkway roof?

Did the replacement distribution amp sort the problem?

Cheers, T i m