Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Gram Input

On 27/07/2020 08:57, wrote:
Hi All,

Back in the day when I were too poor to born (I were knitted by the
WRVS and dropped throuht letterbox when me mam werent looking).

My €śHiFi€ť Consisted of a busted Dansette clone with no amp or
transformer (we used my train set transformer and a dropper resister).
And the Gram input of a valve radio (we had a similar setup downstairs
which my father had built into an old sideboard to make a Radiogram)

Anyway, I used to play 45s and later LPs on this.

I imagine the radio was probably just post war.

Would this have had RIAA Compensation circuitry built in?

If it used s ceramic or crystal pickup voltage was proportional to
deflection, not to velocity, so it would not have needed one.

Just what I was going to say. Will have been "crystal" in those days. I
guess electromagnetic pickups might have been used in studio equipment.