Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Topfield 5810 repairs

In message , alan_m
writes
On 26/07/2020 22:03, Tim Lamb wrote:

I hope this isn't depriving the BBC of licence fees!
I never got involved in the Toppy *my stuff* as I found the 5810 did
all I needed and it was mostly beyond my competence level anyway. I
do love scrolling through adverts at x16:-)

Unfortunately if Mystuff was "beyond your competence level" then
possibly some of the better alternatives may require a bit more
technical knowledge.

I am afraid you are correct:-(

With advancing years, I seem to have lazily withdrawn from technological
progress. Happily accepting the convenience of a mobile phone but
resisting the dependency of GPS and totally opposed to gizmos like Alexa
and hive technology (yes it is convenient but totally dependent on
remote services with no back-up alternatives). 5g is frightening.
My current bete noir is having to tidy my hair before talking to my
grandchildren on a i-pad!

I went from a Toppy to the the Enigma 2 boxes running OpenVix.. The
more modern boxes are more suited to Free to Air UK satellite rather
than terrestrial via an aerial. I run both satellite and terrestrial
on the same box (4 tuners). If buying again I would only go satellite.

https://www.openvix.co.uk/index.php/openvix-features-2/

https://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk...rial/digital-r
eceivers

Umm.. I think our next generation TV system will be free to air
satellite but someone else can do the installation.

--
Tim Lamb