Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Topfield 5810 repairs

In message , alan_m
writes
On 25/07/2020 21:28, Tim Lamb wrote:
Coincidental with the TV aerial amplifier fault, I have a tuner
problem with my PVR.
All the internal supply voltages are close to spec. (the capacitors
were replaced some years back) but it won't tune and initially
displayed no signal at tuner 1).
Last time this happened ISTR replacing a switching transistor on the
main board. (Q14). I have some de-soldering braid and a few
transistors on order but would welcome any further advice.

First, turn off the Toppy at the mains, wait 60 seconds for any
internal voltage to discharge and switch back on again. This will give
your Toppy a cold boot and reset any crashed software which doesn't
happen if you just put te box into standby.

Q14 usually went when one of the main supply voltages got too high but
as you say that they are all in spec it possibly isn't the same fault.

Try any Andy Frazier (username andfras) who still posts on the Toppy
forums. Find one of his posts and PM (personal message) him.

https://sites.google.com/site/andyfr...ew-and-satelli
te-recorder-repair/topfield-pvr-faults

Yes. I found that.

I am now trepidating about 76 year old shaky hands waving a conventional
30Watt soldering iron around legless transistor mounts!

I was much younger last time:-(

As an aside, is there a PVR with comparable performance on the market?
--
Tim Lamb