Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Need advice on a neon transformer

Brian Struckmeier wrote:
I have new neon sign with a bad transformer (has a short and works sporadically), it is a 5kv 15MA transformer. I bought a new one that is 5kv 30ma and the neon fades towards the end of the run. It is nice and bright the whole run with the original transformer so I am assuming the 30ma vs 15ma is a problem.

Any advice, im having a hard time finding a 5kv 15ma replacement.

Well you're overloading the neon tube and may cause damage to it.

I found some 4kV 15ma electronic power supplies online. Might work fine.