Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connect a "normal phone" jack to VoIP?

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 14:06:25 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Mind you all calls carried on the landline aren't that
great either, low level, strange raspy quality, low level hum,

nearly
3 miles of twisted pair cause that.

I talk to my brother land line to landline twice a week. London to
Aberdeen. Bit more than 3 miles of cable. Never had a bad 'line'.

But apart from the two local ends it'll be digits all the way. Must
be 30, maybe 40 years, since all exchanges were connected digitally.

Perhaps your local end needs sorting? 3 miles of balanced audio is
nothing. ;-)

Well there can't be much up with it as it supports ADSL2+ to 6 Mbps
down, 1 Mbps up. 46 dB loss down stream, 25 dB loss up, 6 dB noise
margin. Highest carrier used is just over 1.3 MHz. That performance
is right at the top of what can be expected on that length of copper
(or for the last mile ali in our case).

--
Cheers
Dave.