Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Overheating Henry Vacuum Cleaner

On Saturday, 25 July 2020 13:37:53 UTC+1, Robin wrote:
On 25/07/2020 09:48, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 24 Jul 2020 16:22:12 -0700, tabbypurr wrote:
On Friday, 24 July 2020 02:44:03 UTC+1, Wingnuts wrote:
replying to alan_m, Wingnuts wrote:

Thank you for all of your replies.

I only have a multimeter and a basic one at that (TIS 258), I'll have a
look online to see if that is of any use, otherwise I'll go about
getting power socket meter as it'll be useful to have anyway.

It's got a 10A scale, but only dc. A bridge rectifier would enable it to
measure Henry's current draw. Realise that it'll only handle 10A for a
few seconds.

Don't see any such limitation on mine.

photos of the TIS 258* show it having the same warning as on an
apparently identical (but differently badged) cheap mm I have - ie the
10A inputs labelled "max 30 secs every 15 min"

*eg
https://www.testinstrumentsolutions....258700x700.jpg

Multimeter high current scales are normally that way. How long it can cope for depends on meter quality, or is one of the qualities of a meter. 30s isn't bad.

NT