Posted to sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Default Need advice on a neon transformer

On 2020/07/24 11:29 a.m., Mike Coon wrote:
In article ,
says...

Interesting, I did not realize that Neon transformers were current
limiting, behaving somewhat like a ballast on fluorescent lamps:

https://www.richieburnett.co.uk/ballast.html

--------------(quote)---------------------------------------

Neon sign transformers have built-in magnetic shunts which give current
limiting. In its intended use as a supply for neon tube, the high open
circuit voltage of the transformer is used to strike an arc in the neon
tube. Once an arc has formed inside the neon tube, the current must be
limited to prevent overheating of the neon tube and the transformer due
to excessive current flow. (The hotter the arc gets, the more current
flows, so it gets hotter etc?)

----------------(end quote)----------------------------------

Thanks for the info! Live and learn, eh?

John :-#)#

Exactly like a grown-up version of your tiny neon pilot lamp in an AC
power socket with its ballast resistor...

Mike.

I have a Neon Christmas tree (glass tube outline) that was made for my
grandfather by his employees (E.L. Ruddy in Toronto) during the
depression (as Granny told me years ago). Stands about 14 inches tall
and is still working just fine. Haul it out every winter and plug it
into its base.

I can post a picture if anyone is interested...

John :-#)#

John's Jukes Ltd.
(604)872-5757 (Pinballs, Jukes, Video Games)
www.flippers.com