Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why are people buying clamshells of impact drivers?

On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 15:44:22 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 23/07/2020 15:16, Commander Kinsey wrote:
Why are people buying clamshells of impact drivers? Isn't it always the
mechanism that breaks?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&LH_Complete=1

These have a heavy battery one end and a heavy motor the other end with
little in between apart from the case. When dropped from the top of a
ladder they tend to bend, crack or break at the bottom of the hand
handle (close to the battery). I've seen a youtube video where this has
been tested and some of the more expensive brands (makita, dewalt etc.)
seem to fair much better than no-name brands but it does appear that it
is a weak point on all makes. It does depend on what hits first when
dropped from height.

I've dropped my cheap one quite a few times, once from about 12 feet onto a paved driveway. All that happened is the battery fell off.