Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] Adrian Tuddenham[_2_] is offline

Default Need advice on a neon transformer

Brian Struckmeier wrote:

I have new neon sign with a bad transformer (has a short and works
sporadically), it is a 5kv 15MA transformer. I bought a new one that is
5kv 30ma and the neon fades towards the end of the run. It is nice and
bright the whole run with the original transformer so I am assuming the
30ma vs 15ma is a problem.

Any advice, im having a hard time finding a 5kv 15ma replacement.

The extra current may be damaging the electrodes and causing out-gassing
or overheating the tube so the neon pressure rises. Is there a
possibility that there is an adjustable magnetic shunt inside the
transformer that could be adjusted to reduce the current?

Please be careful - with those sorts of currents and voltages, your
first mistake could well be your last.

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk