Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default OT'ish: Is anyone here knowledgeable about types of 2-strokehover mowers?

On 24/07/2020 09:10, Chris Green wrote:
newshound wrote:
On 23/07/2020 19:05, T i m wrote:
On Thu, 23 Jul 2020 18:29:42 +0100, Michael Chare
wrote:

On 23/07/2020 12:10, wrote:
I'm looking for a good used 2-stroke hover mower to cope with a steep
grassed bank, but I can't find anything that lists and describes the old
Flymo models. The models that I've seen on fleabay are L38, L300 and
L470, and I'm guessing that the "L" denotes 2-stroke and that the number
denotes cutting width. Are there any other models/manufacturers I should
be considering?

The Flymo website no longer shows the Flymo hover mower I bought with a
Honda 4 stroke motor. Husqvarna appear to sell an identical product.
Strange! Apparently they will work on a 45 degree slop, not that I have
tried.

There are 4/ tools out there now that are 'dry sump' so although they
use valves (like a 4/) they get their (upper cylinder particularly)
lubrication from the fuel, like a 2/.

Whilst that may go some way towards the efficiency (less
over-scavenging), they are still burning oil?

Cheers, T i m

They will certainly have roller bearings for mains and big ends (like a
2 stroke) so only need a whiff of oil. I still find the lack of bore
wear in modern engines astonishing having been brought up in the days
when you regularly had to re-bore bikes and even cars.

My Ryobi 4-stroke power head (for strimmer, brush-cutter, hedge
trimmer, pruner, etc.) seems just to rely on splash lubrication. You
just put oil in the 'sump' (i.e. the bottom of the casing) up to a
(very indterminate) sort of level and that's it. There doesn't seem
to be any sort of pump or oil ways, it must just splash around.

If its anything like the one I had, it won't run well/reliably in a
number of orientations...

--
Cheers,

John.